With rosemary-infused honey, almonds and sliced pears, this pear manchego salad is a fall/winter plate of greens that beautifully combines both savory and sweet.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons + 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1 pear (Bosc, Comice or Anjou), cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 ounce Manchego cheese, shaved
- In a small saucepan, heat the honey, rosemary and water. Simmer for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, sauté the almonds in 1/4 teaspoon olive oil until they are toasted, about 5 minutes. Let the almonds cool before mixing with the lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- For the dressing, whisk the remaining olive oil with the balsamic vinegar. Toss the mixed greens with the dressing, almonds, pears, red onions and Manchego. Remove the rosemary sprigs and drizzle with honey before serving.
Adapted from Good Food December 2013