Full of flavor, this hearty roasted cauliflower olive tapenade pizza is topped with tomato sauce, sweet cherry peppers and mozzarella.
- For dough
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more for bowl
- 1 cup bread flour plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cornmeal for pizza stone
- For pizza
- 1 pound small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup olive tapenade
- 4–5 Peppadew or sweet cherry peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- For the dough, combine the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil and let stand for 5 minutes until foamy. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until it forms a shaggy dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Alternatively, the dough can be mixed in the bowl of a stand mixer using a dough hook.)
- Gather the dough into a ball, transfer to an oiled bowl and cover. Place the bowl in a warm spot to allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F with a pizza stone inside the oven.
- On a sheet pan, toss the cauliflower with the olive oil, salt and pepper and arrange it in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is browned at the edges.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 14-inch diameter circle. Sprinkle the preheated pizza stone with cornmeal and place the dough on it. Spread the tomato sauce leaving a 1/2-inch border. Use a spoon to drop 1/2 cup olive tapenade by the heaping teaspoonful, and then smooth it into the sauce. Arrange the sliced peppers on top followed by the roasted cauliflower. Finally, sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Before serving, spoon on the remaining tapenade by the 1/2 teaspoonful and top with chopped parsley.