These sour cherry amaretti cookies are nutty with almonds and wonderfully chewy and sweet dotted with dried tart cherries.
- 1–1/2 cups ground almonds
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dried sour cherries
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Confectioners’ sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, granulated sugar, lemon zest, almond extract and salt. Stir in the dried cherries.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites and honey until soft peaks form. Fold the egg white mixture into the dry ingredients. Using your hands, form the dough into 20 balls. Roll them in confectioners’ sugar and place them on the prepared sheet pan about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes until they turn slightly golden and are chewy in the center. Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi & Sam Tamimi
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review