With just 4 ingredients, this flourless 15-minute chocolate cake is a simple dessert that’s rich, decadent and can be served at room temperature or chilled.
- 2–1/2 sticks (10 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan and foil
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate (70%), roughly chopped
- 6 large eggs
- Confectioners’ sugar for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the stove.
- In another bowl over the saucepan of simmering water, use a handheld electric mixer to beat the eggs until they are pale and thickened and form soft peaks. Fold the eggs into the chocolate in two batches.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Loosely cover with buttered foil.
- Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan filled with of very hot water. The water should come halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake for 5 minutes before removing the foil. Continue baking for 10 minutes until just set.
- Take the pan out of the water and allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- The cake can be served at room temperature or chilled from the refrigerator.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if using.
- Store in the refrigerator.
When the cake is served at room temperature, it is delicate and like a custard. After the cake is chilled in the refrigerator, it has a more solid and almost truffle-like consistency.
Adapted from Italian Easy: Recipes from the London River Café by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review