Loaded with bell peppers, broccoli and snow peas, this ginger garlic veggie tofu stir-fry with brown rice is an easy meal that makes great leftovers you can even eat cold from the fridge.
- 1–14 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 2 bell peppers, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1–2 heads broccoli (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into small florets
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 1–1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Pat the tofu with a paper towel. Wrap with a dry paper towel and place a heavy pan or cutting board on top to remove more liquid. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
- For the sauce, in a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the tofu and cook until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes per side. Pour in 1/4 cup sauce and stir around the tofu letting the sauce bubble. Remove the tofu and set aside on a plate.
- Sauté the white parts of the scallions for a minute to let them soften. Then add the peppers to the skillet sautéing for 2 minutes. Next add the broccoli and continue cooking for 2 minutes before adding the snow peas. Sauté for 1-2 minutes longer until the vegetables are cooked but still bright and crisp.
- Pour in the remaining sauce. Let it simmer for a minute before stirring in the rice and tofu and continue cooking until the rice is warmed and most of the sauce has been absorbed.
- Fold in the sliced green scallions before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. They can be eaten cold or warm them in the microwave as desired.
Keywords: tofu stir-fry, tofu veggie stir-fry