Fresh veggies and pantry-foraged ingredients come together in this grilled halloumi black lentil salad with zucchini, red peppers and lemon vinaigrette.
- For salad
- 3/4 cup black lentils
- 1–1/4 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 3-inch wide strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound halloumi cheese, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls baby arugula
- For vinaigrette
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine the lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender. Transfer to a strainer and rinse with cold water. Transfer the lentils to a large bowl.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on high heat.
- Toss the zucchini and peppers in olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables until they are grilled marked, about 3-4 minutes.
- Grill the halloumi until it has grill marks, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- When they are cool enough to handle, dice the zucchini, peppers and halloumi. Combine with the lentils. Fold in the scallions and arugula.
- For the vinaigrette, stir together the lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil until fully combined.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette into the salad before serving.
Can you add couscous to this salad?
Absolutely! It would be great to add couscous to it.