With a combination of fresh herbs, nuts, cheese and olive oil, it’s so simple to master how to make pesto, one of the most versatile sauces.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or chopped walnuts or almonds)
- 1/2 ounce grated Parmesan (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4–1/3 cup olive oil
- Mince the garlic in a food processor or blender.
- Add the basil, nuts, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Process until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil through the feeder tube until the pesto is pureed and combined.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
Store the pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To keep the pesto longer, you can freeze it up to 4 months in a single container or portion it out into ice cube trays. Thaw it at room temperature.
Keywords: basil pesto, how to make pesto
WHAT DID YOU THINK?
Rate + Review