For this colorful grilled rainbow veggie pizza, I use a combination of vegetables in red, green, yellow and purple including zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers corn and onions.
- For dough
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus more for bowl
- 1 cup bread flour plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For toppings
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 3-inch wide strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 3-inch wide strips
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 small head broccoli, trimmed and split into large florets
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Italian cheese blend
- For the dough, combine the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil and let stand for 5 minutes until foamy. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until it forms a shaggy dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Alternatively, the dough can be mixed in the bowl of a stand mixer using a dough hook.)
- Gather the dough into a ball, transfer to an oiled bowl and cover. Place the bowl in a warm spot to allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on high heat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into an 8-inch by 12-inch rectangle.
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, about 5-7 minutes. Grill the peppers, zucchini, onions and broccoli until grilled marked, about 3-4 minutes. Grill the tomatoes until their skin just starts to split, about 2 minutes.
- Slice the kernels off the corn. Dice the peppers, zucchini, onions and broccoli. Halve the tomatoes.
- Dicing the zucchini, squash and peppers and slicing the kernels off the corn cobs.
- Place the rolled-out dough directly on the grates and grill for 3 minutes with the lid closed until the crust has grill marks and has puffed up. Turn over the crust and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the grill. Spread the tomato sauce leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge and scatter the cheese on top. Arrange the vegetables in stripes by color. Return the pizza back on the grill for a couple minutes to let the cheese melt.