How To Grill Vegetables Without A Grill
- Author: Paige Adams
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-12 minutes
- Total Time: 14-22 minutes
- Yield: Varies
Grill pans are a great alternative for vegetables and fruit because they go right on the stovetop, so try learning how to grill vegetables without a grill.
- For spice mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For vegetables
- Corn, shucked
- Zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Medium to large tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- Bell peppers, cut into 3-inch wide strips
- Olive oil
- Preheat a grill pan on the stove over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil and the spice mix.
- To know if the grill pan is hot enough, flick a little water on it. The water should sizzle and steam on contact.
- Start by grilling a zucchini or squash slice or a pepper to test the temperature of the pan.
- Adjust the heat of the burner as necessary.
- Continue grilling the vegetables, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Suggested grilling times:
Corn: Grill the corn turning as you see grill marks on the cob, about 10-12 minutes.
- Zucchini and yellow squash: Grill the zucchini and squash about 3-4 minutes per side until grill marks appear.
- Bell peppers and tomatoes: Grill the peppers and tomatoes about 2-3 minutes per side until grill marks appear.
Overall cooking time depends on type and quantity and vegetables.