With just 10 ingredients, this mushroom farro with tomatoes is a simple mix of hearty grains and vegetables including chopped kale for greens.
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the farro and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer the farro for 10 minutes until the grains are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain any remaining water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until they start to brown. Add the tomatoes and kale and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes until the tomatoes turn a bit juicy and the kale has wilted slightly. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, sautéing until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the farro and the green scallions.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Rewarm them in a skillet with olive oil on the stove or microwave them. You can also eat leftovers cold.
Keywords: mushroom farro