Ready in less than 20 minutes, this arugula cannellini bean barley with almonds and Parmesan is a filling grain side that you can serve as a salad, too.
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup whole almonds plus 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 ounce grated Parmesan plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1–15 ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes until tender. Let stand for 2-3 minutes and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a food processor, mince the garlic. Add 1-1/2 cups arugula, 1/4 cup whole almonds, Parmesan, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Puree the mixture. While the motor is running, drizzle the olive oil through the feeder tube until the sauce is fully combined.
- Stir the sauce and cannellini beans into the barley. Fold in the scallions and remaining arugula. Top with Parmesan and chopped almonds before serving.