With a beautiful mix of Moroccan spices, this root vegetable tagine is a vegan stew filled with sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and turnips. It’s served with a lemony almond couscous.
- For tagine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds root vegetables, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips)
- 1–14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives (such as Castelvetrano)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- Chopped parsley for serving
- For couscous
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they start to turn soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add the root vegetables, tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place the lid on the pot. Bake in the oven for until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, olives, lemon juice and apricots and simmer on the stove over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the stew has thickened slightly.
- Serve with couscous and garnish with chopped parsley.
- For couscous: While the tagine is simmering, bring the water and lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the couscous and cover with a lid. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork and stirring in the parsley, almonds, salt and pepper.
Store leftover tagine in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Freeze up to 1 month.
Keywords: vegetable tagine, moroccan tagine