Warm and hearty with potatoes, this roasted eggplant zucchini tomato stew is seasoned with a mix of oregano, paprika and cumin. It’s topped with crumbled feta.
- 1/2 pound fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4 pound), diced
- 2 zucchini (3/4 pound), diced
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1–14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cooked grains for serving (rice, farro, quinoa or bulgur wheat)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Arrange the potatoes, cut side down on halt of a sheet pan, leaving other half empty. Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes. Flip the potatoes to the other side.
- Toss the eggplant and zucchini with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Spread the eggplant and zucchini on the sheet pan next to the potatoes. Continue roasting for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown and the eggplant and zucchini are browned at the edges.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until they start to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, sautéing until fragrant, 30 seconds-1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the eggplant, zucchini and potatoes.
- Serve topped with crumbled feta and chopped parsley and with rice or grains.
We really enjoyed this tonight. It’s hearty and savoury. I added some frozen chunks of cod to the tomato as it cooked because I had started to defrost it before finding your recipe. Didn’t add it to any grain but did dip some fresh baked sourdough multigrain bread. Yum! 10/10
Looks great but would like nutritional values.
Found this recipe the day of, i had everything beside the can of tomatoes. So i used tomato sauce and the whole family including myself thought it was delicious !
Delicious and easy! A great weeknight meal. I didn’t have any potatoes so subbed in a 15oz can of garbanzo beans and it was fantastic. I served with some fresh homemade bread. 🤤
Haven’t made yet, but will soon!
I bet this would be great with sweet potatoes.
Made this tonight & it was amazing! I added spinach & topped it with a lot of crumbled feta. DELISH!
I’m so happy you enjoyed it!
This was delicious!!!