With sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers and green lentils, this vegan slow cooker Moroccan chickpea stew has a warm mix of ground spices along with spicy harissa paste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1–14.5 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 carrots, trimmed and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Chopped parsley for serving
- In a skillet or stove-top safe slow cooker pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the minced garlic, minced fresh ginger, dried spices (cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon & ginger), salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, lentils, harissa and vegetable broth.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
The stew can be stored in an airtight container up to 5 days.
To store the stew longer, freeze it up to 1 month.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.9 g
- Fiber: 10.6 g
- Protein: 13.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Moroccan chickpea stew, vegan slow cooker recipe