Pickled onions are the star of this salt & vinegar potato salad with grilled red potatoes. Try it for a lighter version of potato salad.
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups kettle-cooked salt & vinegar potato chips, crushed
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan filled with salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a plate to cool. Halve the potatoes lengthwise.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the onions and vinegar in a small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill on medium high heat. Place the potatoes on the grates cut side down and grill until they are slightly charred and grill-marked, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onions, vinegar, olive oil, parsley and chips. Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Food & Wine June 2017.