on Jun 19, 2015, Updated Mar 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
White wine vinegar and Greek yogurt give this frozen strawberry semifreddo a tangy, cheesecake-like flavor. No ice cream maker is required.
The first time I whipped up a batch of jam I remember marveling at how much fruit it took, and the final result was only a tiny jar.
Once the jam cooled and I was able to take a taste, the intense, bright fruitiness made up for my disappointment in how little I ended up with.
I enjoyed every last spoonful of that jam.
I had strawberries at home and a craving for ice cream, so I decided to give sweet & sour strawberry semifreddo a try.
I started by making a chunky strawberry jam.
I finished off this frozen treat with a sprinkle of toasted black sesame seeds.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jam is thick and chunky. Stir in the vinegar. Cool completely.
- Over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds in a small dry skillet, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream and salt until medium-stiff peaks form. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk followed by the yogurt. Carefully fold the jam into the mixture allowing it to marble.
- Transfer to a loaf pan to freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.