Instead of the usual cookies, these brioche ice cream sandwiches pair a store-bought brioche bun with a scoop of homemade toasted almond ice cream.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 12 brioche dinner rolls, halved
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Pour 1 cup heavy cream in a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat stirring until the sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk half the cream mixture into the egg yolks and then pour it all back into the saucepan. Stir continuously until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the large bowl with the heavy cream. Stir in the almond extract.
- Cool the mixture over an ice bath and refrigerate until it has cooled completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a sheet pan, toast the almonds for 5-7 minutes until they are fragrant. Finely chop the almonds and let them cool.
- Once the ice cream mixture is fully chilled, churn it in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold the almonds into the ice cream and transfer to a container to freeze.
- To assemble the ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop of ice cream between the halves of a brioche roll.
You can make the ice cream in advance, but assemble the ice cream sandwiches to order rather than making them and freezing them because the brioche won’t be soft.
These look amazing! I plan on making some of my own this summer. Lovely combination, roasted almond ice cream sounds great 🙂