A crunchy ripple of rich fudge and chopped chocolate covered peanuts run through the vanilla ice cream base of this tin roof ice cream.
- For ice cream
- 1–1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For chocolate covered peanuts
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- For fudge ripple
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the ice cream, pour 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and set aside. Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Combine the milk, sugar, salt and remaining heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk half the milk mixture into the yolks and then pour it back into the saucepan. Stir continuously until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl with the heavy cream and stir in the vanilla.
- For the peanuts, melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat. Stir in the peanuts coating them in chocolate. Spread out the peanuts on a parchment-lined plate. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens and then roughly chop.
- For the fudge ripple, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Whisk the mixture constantly until it just starts to simmer. Continue whisking for 1 minute before removing from the heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and cool to room temperature. Chill completely in the refrigerator.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the chocolate covered peanuts. In a quart-sized container, layer the fudge ripple and the ice cream in alternating layers, starting with the fudge. Freeze until firm.
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Oh dear ! You got me with food (ingredients) saving. I belong to the same club ! Also, thank you for such a great creation. Love ti very much ! Will do !