Make baked kale barley risotto in the oven and you’ll never stir risotto on the stove, the traditional way, ever again. Kale pesto gives this vegetarian recipe lots of flavor.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups torn curly kale
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus shaved Parmesan for serving
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 1/3 + 1 tablespoon cup olive oil
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Finely chop the garlic in a food processor. Add 1 cup kale, walnuts, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper and process into a paste. While the food processor is running, pour 1/3 cup olive oil through the feeder tube until combined.
- In a large ovenproof saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the barley and cook for 1 minute until opaque. Pour in the wine, letting it bubble and be absorbed by the barley. Stir in 1/3 cup kale pesto.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan with a lid and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the barley is tender. Stir in the remaining chopped kale leaves letting them wilt. Stir in the rest of the kale pesto.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and shaved Parmesan before serving.
Can you clarify the instructions for this recipe? I want to make it, but the directions don’t include what you do with the kale pesto after you make it.
Oops! I just updated the recipe. Thanks for catching that!