Looking for a simple and healthy vegetarian one-pot meal? Try this butternut squash baked barley risotto with kale. With minimal stovetop time, this risotto cooks in the oven and doesn’t require the usual stirring.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped Lacinato kale
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan plus shaved Parmesan for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large ovenproof saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the squash for 6-8 minutes until it starts to brown at the edges and is tender.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent about, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes sautéing until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the barley and cook for 1 minute until opaque. Pour in the wine, letting it bubble and be absorbed by the barley.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan with a lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the barley is tender.
- Stir in the kale and Parmesan, letting the kale wilt and the cheese melt.
- Sprinkle with parsley and shaved Parmesan before serving.