With pungent flavor and a hint of sweetness, turmeric butternut squash apple soup is the cure for all that ails you during the fall and winter months. It is healthy comfort food and elixir in one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Yogurt and chopped cilantro for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, apples and vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until the squash and apples are soft.
- Either use an immersion blender in the saucepan or carefully transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree. Return the soup to the saucepan to reheat.
- Divide into bowls and swirl with yogurt and sprinkle with cilantro and black pepper before serving.