Pureeing half this chickpea soup gives you a healthy creamy broth with chickpeas, carrots and potatoes that’s fragrant with rosemary, garlic and Parmesan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 cup chopped curly kale
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley plus more for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they turn soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, salt and pepper, sautéing for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, chickpeas, potatoes and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer with the lid partially covering the pot for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs. Carefully transfer half the soup to a blender and puree. Pour this mixture back into the soup and add the kale, simmering on low for a couple minutes to wilt the greens.
- Stir in the Parmesan, lemon juice and parsley.
- Top each bowl with additional Parmesan and parsley before serving.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 4 days. The soup can be frozen up to 1 month.
Keywords: chickpea soup, garbanzo bean soup
Tasted great! Would consider adding cannellini beans, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes next time.
Delicious and easy! I had everything here but the kale so I left it out. Its helping me fight this cold! Thank you for a great recipe.
I hope you feel better!
This soup was delicious! I made it on a whim and will be making it many, many more times.
Inherited a big box of dried chickpeas. Had no idea what to do with them. Came across this recipe. Freaking delicious! Thanks paige!
Donny–I’m so happy you enjoyed it!
Great quick hearty, delicious soup! Few ingredients. Everything in my pantry or fridge. Used dried Rosemary. Served with green salad. Perfect weeknight meal! Will make again.
Looks simple and delicious! I’m just out of fresh Rosemary,‘do you think I can sub dried?
Yes, you can use 1 teaspoon dried rosemary instead of fresh.