A simple blueberry compote and cinnamon toasted oat crumble are what makes this vegan blueberry crumble ice cream such a fantastic cold treat.
- 4 large bananas
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Cut the bananas into chunks and freeze until firm.
- Combine the blueberries, water and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the berries release their juices and the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment. In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, almond meal, coconut sugar, salt and coconut oil. Pat the mixture into a thin layer on the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and fragrant. Cool before crumbling.
- Place the bananas and almond milk in a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Layer the banana base, blueberry compote and about half the crumble in a freezer-proof container. Gently drag a knife through the layers to swirl. Freeze until firm. Serve topped with the remaining crumble.