If you like a chewy, soft-baked cookie with chocolate chunks and chili pepper, these vegan cinnamon-spiced chocolate chip cookies are the dessert for you.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper or cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces roughly chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Flaky sea salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ancho chili pepper and chocolate.
- In a large bowl whisk together the canola oil, water, vanilla extract, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Scoop the dough into 2-inch balls. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes before arranging on the prepared sheet pan spacing 3 inches apart.
- Use your hand to slightly press down the balls of dough. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Bake the cookies for 6 minutes. Rotate the sheet pan 180 degrees. Continue baking for 6-8 minutes until the cookies are golden brown at the edges.
- Let the cookies sit on the sheet pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week.