With lots of different ingredient options, this Italian chopped salad can be easily customized for any kind of eater from vegans to vegetarians to carnivores.
- For salad
- 1 large head romaine (about 1 pound), chopped
- 1 head radicchio (about 8 ounces), chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 ounces chopped salami (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- For vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For the salad, combine the romaine, radicchio, scallions, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, salami (if using), parsley and Gorgonzola.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss the vinaigrette in the salad before serving.
For vegetarians, leave out the salami.
For vegans, don’t add the cheese.
Other good additions include roasted chicken and hard-boiled eggs.