Creamy with coconut milk, this vegan carrot soup has lots of fresh ginger, garlic and spices. It is simple and full of so much flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 1 minute until everything is fragrant.
- Add the carrots and vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 18-22 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot or carefully transfer it in batches to a blender to puree.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Divide into bowls and top with a drizzle of coconut milk and chopped parsley.
If you don’t have a blender, you can puree the soup by hand using a potato masher.
Let the soup cool before storing it.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
To store longer, keep the soup in the freezer up to 1 month. It is best for thawing and reheating to divide the soup into smaller portion sizes when freezing it.
Keywords: carrot ginger soup, carrot soup with ginger