Try roasting the tomatoes in advance for this easy slow-roasted tomato zucchini orzo with basil pesto. You can grill the zucchini on a grill pan on the stove.
- For slow roasted tomatoes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For orzo
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, quartered lengthwise and deseeded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan for serving
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- For the slow roasted tomatoes, place the tomato halves in rows cut-side up on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes for 2 – 2-1/2 hours until they are wrinkled and mostly dried except for a little juice in the center. (If not using immediately, store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.)
- Cook the orzo until al dente following package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat. Toss the zucchini with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill the zucchini on one side for 2 minutes until grill marks appear. Flip it and grill for an additional 2 minutes. Let the zucchini cool slightly and dice into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the orzo with the tomatoes, zucchini, pesto, chives and remaining salt and pepper. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold. If served cold, it will likely require more salt and pepper to bring out the flavors of the dish.