Pesto is the secret ingredient and herby flavor booster in this easy roasted zucchini squash pea orzo with salty crumbled ricotta salata.
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium summer squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 3/4 cup fresh peas
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the zucchini and squash on a parchment-line sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned at the edges.
- Cook the orzo in boiling salted water according to package instructions. Add the peas in the last minute of cooking. Drain and transfer the orzo and peas to a large bowl. Stir in the pesto followed by the zucchini, squash, chives and ricotta salata. Season with salt and pepper.