This simple black bean roasted pepper frittata is spiked with salsa and packed with greens. Serve it with cherry tomato pico de gallo and sliced avocados.
- For frittata
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chipotles en adobo sauce (optional if you want it to be spicy)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white parts and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peppers
- 1 cup torn arugula
- 1–15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for serving
- Sliced avocado for serving
- Crumbled Cotija cheese for serving
- For pico de gallo
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salsa, chipotles en adobo sauce, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch non-stick ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the white parts of the scallions until they are translucent, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the peppers and arugula, letting the greens wilt, about 2 minutes. Stir in the black beans and cilantro and reduce the heat to low.
- Pour in the egg mixture. Wait for the eggs to start to set at the edges, about 2-4 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until just set in the middle.
- While the frittata is baking, make the pico de gallo by combining the tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Top the frittata with pico de gallo and sliced avocados. Sprinkle with cilantro and cotija cheese before serving.