Blackberries and raspberries are the base for black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. The result is a tart, intensely purple frozen treat.
- 10 ounces raspberries, fresh or frozen (partially thawed)
- 10 ounces blackberries, fresh or frozen (partially thawed)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Whisk the yolks in a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, simmer the heavy cream, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk half the cream mixture into the egg yolks and then pour it back into the saucepan. Stir continuously until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cream mixture followed by the berry puree through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl with the milk. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Cool the mixture over an ice bath and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Churn in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Freeze the ice cream in an airtight container and allow it to harden before serving.