With white beans and corn, this vegan chile verde is a spicy stew that’s a blend of tomatillos, poblano peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and lime. Most of the cooking happens under the broiler in the oven.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and halved horizontally
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 jalapenos
- 4 garlic cloves in their skins
- Juice of 1 lime
- Generous handful of cilantro (including stems) plus cilantro leaves for serving
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–15 ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1–15.5 ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Crumbled tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Arrange the tomatillos, cut side down, the poblano peppers, jalapenos and garlic cloves on the sheet pan. It is best to position the peppers and jalapenos on the pan where they will be closest to the broiler-heating element. Broil for 10-12 minutes turning the peppers and jalapenos every few minutes, so they are blistered on all sides. The tomatillos should be lightly charred. If the tomatillos or garlic start to look too dark, cover them loosely with a sheet of foil.
- Place the poblanos and jalapenos in a bowl and cover. Wait 10 minutes, then peel the peppers and jalapenos. Trim the top stem and remove the seeds and ribs. Place them in a blender.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the blender. Add the tomatillos (including the juices on the foil), lime juice, cilantro and 1 cup vegetable broth. Puree until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and continue cooking until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the pureed tomatillos and peppers, the remaining vegetable broth, corn and beans. Stir it all together and simmer for 10 minutes until everything is warmed and the stew has thickened slightly.
- Divide the soup into bowls and top with cilantro and crumbled tortilla chips before serving.
If you want the chile verde to turn out spicier, leave some of the seeds and ribs on the jalapenos.
The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days and in the freezer up to 1 month.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 648.2 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 77.9 g
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chile verde, vegan chile verde