Why use crusty bread when you can make a cornbread panzanella salad. Just toast the cornbread in the oven, so it can hold its own with the other ingredients.
- 2 cups cornbread, torn or cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- Salt and pepper for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the cornbread in a single layer on a sheet pan, bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and toasted, tossing the cornbread halfway through cooking. Cool to room temperature.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- To assemble the salad, combine the cornbread, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, basil and chives in a large bowl. Gently stir in the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.