Green Bean White Bean Quinoa
on Jul 20, 2020, Updated Apr 07, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With arugula, parsley and feta, this quick and easy green bean white bean quinoa makes a great side dish served at room temperature no matter the season.
I like green beans, but I’ve learned to really love them over the last couple weeks.
This wasn’t something that I expected to happen, but I didn’t have a choice.
It’s all in my ongoing attempts to keep up with the vegetables in my CSA. The last 2 boxes have included green beans—a lot of them!
I have done all sorts of things including sautéing green beans in a skillet and topping them with lemony everything breadcrumbs.
Greens beans are great in pasta salads, too.
I’ve even stashed some away in the freezer for veggie soups when the weather gets chilly.
Yes, I’m a planner thinking ahead to soup season, but I’m definitely not wishing away summer.
There hasn’t been a July or August where I’ve embraced the heat and being outside more than I am now.
To finish off what I had left in my weekly box, I made green bean white bean quinoa.
It’s a jumble of grains with lots of herbs and salty feta.
I’ve been on a total feta kick lately. It has so much flavor, and it finishes off many different dishes from salad to rice in just the right way.
How To Make Green Bean White Bean Quinoa
First I simmer the quinoa on the stove. Then I make the green beans while the grains are bubbling away.
It’s important to not to overcook green beans. You want them to be tender, but still have a crisp bite.
Once the quinoa and green beans are ready, I fold them in a big bowl with the white beans.
You can use a can of cannellini, great northern or navy beans depending on what you have in your pantry.
I stir in arugula, chopped parsley, crumbled feta, almonds, salt and pepper.
For a little something extra, I whisk together white wine vinegar and olive oil and drizzle that quick vinaigrette into the green bean white bean quinoa.
I eat this for lunch or dinner. It also makes a great side dish served at room temperature no matter the season.
Green Bean White Bean Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1-15 ounce can white beans drained and rinsed (cannellini, great northern or navy beans)
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let the quinoa cool for 10 minutes.
- Cook the green beans in a pot of salted boiling water until just tender but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the green beans to a bowl of ice water. Once the green beans are cool, drain the water and pat dry with a towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, green beans, white beans, scallions, arugula, parsley, feta, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar and olive oil. Then stir into the quinoa.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.