You can use the best tomatoes or rescue ones that are past their prime with this easy vegan harissa roasted tomato cucumber couscous with parsley and cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1–1/2 cups pearl couscous
- 1–3/4 cups water
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley and/or cilantro
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, harissa, salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish spreading into an even layer.
- Roast the tomatoes for 40-45 minutes until they have broken down and thickened slightly. Let the tomatoes cool till they are warm or at room temperature.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Toast the couscous for a few minutes until it is golden. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl laving most of the juice in the baking dish. Stir in the couscous, cucumbers, parsley and cilantro.