Roma tomatoes are perfect for this easy homemade fresh tomato sauce. With only 10 ingredients, toss it with your favorite pasta shape or even spread it on pizza.
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- To peel the tomatoes, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Score an X into the bottom end of each tomato. Boil the tomatoes for 1 minute and then transfer them to a bowl of ice-cold water. Peel the tomatoes and halve them. Scoop out the seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until they start to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, oregano, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher to break up the tomatoes.
You can use this sauce for pasta or pizza.
If you prefer smooth sauce, puree it in a food processor or blender once it has finished simmering.
Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. You can freeze it up to 1 month.
Keywords: roma tomato recipes, fresh tomato sauce