With grapes, Manchego, walnuts and champagne vinaigrette, this kale apple salad is fresh, crisp and perfect for fall and even Thanksgiving.
- For salad
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 3 crisp apples, cored and thinly sliced (Pink Lady, Fuji, Honeycrisp)
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup shaved Manchego cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- For vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To cut the kale, tear the leaves from the center ribs and roughly chop them.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, apples, grapes, walnuts, Manchego and chives.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette into the salad, tossing to combine.
Instead of grapes, you can use pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries.
You can use walnuts as the recipe is written or try chopped almonds or pecans.
If you can’t find manchego cheese, use a hard cheddar.
Store leftover salad and vinaigrette in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 2 days. If you are planning to have leftovers, do not toss them in the vinaigrette until you are ready to eat them.
Keywords: kale apple salad