The sprouts and grains cook side-by-side in this lemon brussels sprout farro: one in a skillet, the other in a pot. It’s a super easy vegan side.
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound brussels, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the farro and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer the farro for 10 minutes until the grains are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain any remaining water and transfer the farro to a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Put half the brussels sprouts into the skillet spreading into an even layer. Let them cook for 1-1/2 – 2 minutes without moving them. The brussels sprouts will start to brown at the edges. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Then stir the brussels sprouts around the pan letting them brown slightly more, about 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining brussels sprouts.
- Stir the brussels sprouts into the farro with the walnuts and chives.
This looks wonderful! Thank you for posting it.