Flavored with fresh rosemary, this red onion jam is a great topping for a fancy Gruyere grilled cheese on sliced crusty country bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onions (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until they become soft and translucent and start to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, wine, vinegar, honey, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer for 35-40 minutes until the jam thickens. Remove the rosemary sprigs and cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.