Fresh citrus and a blend of dried spices make up the marinade for these roasted root vegetables. This is an exciting side that can be paired with all sorts of mains.
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–1/2 pounds root vegetables, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, turnips, carrots, parsnips)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables. Stir them around, so they are coated in the marinade.
- Spread the veggies across a sheet pan. They should be in a single layer and not overlapping.
- Roast the vegetables for 40-45 minutes until they are browned at the edges and tender in the middle. Toss them halfway through roasting.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Small potatoes such as fingerling or red potatoes do not need to be peeled.
Substitutions (Option 1): Use 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. For fresh herbs, try chopped parsley or minced chives.
Substitutions (Option 2): Use the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1/4 dried thyme, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. For fresh herbs, try chopped parsley and chives or minced chives.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Rewarm them in a 350-degree F oven. Or you can eat the vegetables cold in a salad.
Keywords: roasted root vegetables, roasted root vegetables recipe
Sounds wonderful. Haven’t tried it yet.
Q: Don’t understand 4–1 lbs root veggies. Am assuming I need 4 lbs worth of 4 different veggies at 1 lb each?
Q: in Substition 2, After 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, 1/4 tsp dried is listed but no ingredient. Please advise. Want to get recipe right. It sounds so good and 1/4 tsp spice/herb can make a difference. Thanks for your help.
The quantity should be 2-1/2 pounds total of assorted root vegetables. For the spice substitution, it’s 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
What temperature and how long do you roast the vegetables?
Hi Niki. Pardon the technical glitch! The recipe should be showing up now with ingredients and instructions. Let me know if you have any trouble seeing it.