Seasoned with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, this easy roasted carrot chickpea farro with pistachios and scallions has a touch of heat.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1–1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced 1/4 inch
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and olive oil. Add the carrots and chickpeas, tossing to coat. Spread the carrots and chickpeas over a sheet pan in a single layer. Roast until the carrots are tender in the center and lightly browned at the edges and the chickpeas are crispy, about 25-30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the farro and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer the farro for 10 minutes until the grains are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain any remaining water and transfer the farro to a large bowl.
- Stir the carrots and chickpeas into the farro with scallions, pistachios, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.