With pantry ingredients, this tomato olive kale sausage penne is ready in 20 minutes and can be customized for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 3-ounce sweet Italian sausages, casings removed (vegetarian/vegan, chicken or pork sausage)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped Lacinato Kale, ribs removed
- 1 cup roughly chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup marinated roughly chopped roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Shaved Parmesan for serving
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the penne until al dente according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through, according to package instructions. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until it just starts to wilt. Stir in the olives and tomatoes and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes until the kale is completely wilted. Fold in the sausage and pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with grated Parmesan before serving.