Skip the grains in this balsamic mushroom broccoli rice, and go all in on veggies for a vegetarian dinner or side dish in just 20 minutes.
- 1–2 heads broccoli, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1–1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus shaved Parmesan for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Break the broccoli into florets. Trim just the bottom off the stem, and then roughly chop all the stems. Pulse in a food processor until the broccoli is the size of rice. Depending on your food processor, you may need to do this in batches.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to brown. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and continue cooking for a few minutes until the mushrooms are caramelized and fragrant. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same sauté pan over medium high heat. Sauté the shallots, letting them soften, about 3-4 minutes, add the broccoli rice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook the rice, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes, until it is warmed but still crisp. Fold in the mushrooms, grated Parmesan and parsley.
- Top with shaved Parmesan before serving.
You can substitute the broccoli and instead use cauliflower.
Amazing!!l was a little hesitant to try it out, but it came out awesome! I did not follow the recipe exact, made the veggies and then just put on the spices, but it came out delicious. Thank you!!
Great! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!