This roasted broccoli pesto is an easy vegetarian sauce for pasta with pine nuts, lemon, Parmesan and garlic. Stir it into a bowl of penne pasta.
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the broccoli with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and spread across a sheet pan. Roast the broccoli until it is tender and starting to brown at the edges, about 8-10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup broccoli for the pasta.
- For the pesto, mince the garlic in a bowl of a food processor. Add the roasted broccoli, pine nuts, Parmesan, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and puree. With the motor running, pour in 1/2 cup olive oil through the feeder tube processing the mixture until it is fully combined.
- Cook the pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Stir in the pesto and remaining broccoli florets. Top with grated Parmesan before serving.
You can make the pesto up to 3 days in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Warm it over low heat in a saucepan on the stove and stir in the pasta.
Keywords: broccoli pesto, roasted broccoli pasta