No pasta is required for this chickpea arrabiata. A can of crushed tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes are the base for this spicy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1–1/2 cups chopped Lacinato kale, stems removed
- Grated Parmesan, chopped parsley and crusty bread for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions and until they soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and kale. Continue simmering for 5 minutes until the kale has wilted and the chickpeas are heated through.
- Serve with grated Parmesan, parsley and crusty bread.