You can keep a caprese salad classic with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, but drizzling on pesto or balsamic syrup are easy ways to enhance it.
- For salad
- 1 pound assorted tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Option 1:
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Options 2:
- Basil Pesto
- Option 3:
- Balsamic Syrup:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- To assemble the salad, arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella on a serving plate. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh basil leaves, basil pesto for balsamic syrup.
- For the balsamic syrup, combine the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Cook stirring occasionally until it has thickened and reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. (This recipe makes more than needed for the salad. Leftover syrup can be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 month.)