Pureed cashews make this lighter creamy tomato spinach pasta rich and silky. It will become your go-to vegan pasta sauce.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound fettuccine
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Nutritional yeast for serving
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water at room temperature for at least 4 hours to overnight, and then drain them. To soften the nuts faster, bring the cashews to boil in a small saucepan of water, remove them from the heat and let them sit for 15 minutes before draining.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they start to soften and turn translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until very fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes followed by the spinach. Simmer for 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Put the cashews and 3/4 cup water in a blender. Puree until creamy and smooth. Add the sauce from the skillet and puree into a smooth sauce.
- Cook the pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Stir in desired amount of sauce and reheat in the skillet as needed.
- Top with chopped parsley and nutritional yeast before serving.
The recipe makes 5 cups sauce, so you will have extra. The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 5 days and in the freezer up to 1 month.
Keywords: creamy tomato pasta, vegan pasta sauce
Yum!! I’m going to try this tonight!!! Do you think i could use chickpeas instead of cashews?
That sounds interesting! I’ve never made a sauce like that with chickpeas. Let me know how it goes.
Can’t wait to try this 😍