Tomato confit is a simple way to slow roast lots of tomatoes at once. There are so many ways to use them including pasta, pizza, bruschetta and more.
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1–1/2 cups olive oil
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Arrange the garlic and tomatoes in a 13-inch by 9-inch rectangular baking pan, spreading them into a single layer.
- Pour in the olive oil.
- Then scatter the thyme sprigs on top and season with red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for 2 to 2-1/2 hours until they are wrinkled, juicy and have deepened in color.
Let the tomatoes cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container. They can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
The olive oil will become solid in the chill of the fridge. Let it sit at room temperature to turn to liquid again.
Keywords: tomato confit, confit tomatoes