Roasting the main ingredients together in the oven makes these chickpea spinach stuffed sweet potatoes an easy vegan multi-tasking recipe. They are finished with a drizzle of tahini.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1–15 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Flaky sea salt for serving
- Crushed red pepper flakes for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and roast for 45-55 minutes until they are just tender. Let the sweet potatoes cool for 5-10 minutes before halving them lengthwise and fluffing their flesh with a fork.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the crispy chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat them dry with paper towels. Remove any loose outer skins. In a small bowl, toss the chickpeas with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cumin. Spread them in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until crisp and browned, gently shaking the pan about halfway through cooking.
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the spinach until the leaves start to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and remaining salt and pepper, and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Top each of the sweet potato halves with chickpeas and spinach. Drizzle with tahini and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and red pepper flakes before serving.
How long in advance can I prepare this recipe?
You can roast the sweet potatoes in advance and rewarm them in the microwave. I don’t recommend roasting the chickpeas ahead of time because they will not stay crispy.
Thank you its good
Delicious! But would like to know the nutritional facts and calories on the recipe.
Love trying your recipes
Followed recipe exactly and was delicious and filling. Will happily make again.
the temperature did not work for my sweet potatoes, they were still quite hard in the middle after 55 mins (I left them in longer just in case) I’m trying to cook them down more but its frustrating
Sorry to hear that! I know when I buy potatoes at the grocery they vary a lot in size and thickness, which can effect cooking time. You should bake them until you can easily pierce them with a knife.
I love this recipe I am going to make it today.
How much garlic are you supposed to use? I see it in the instructions but not the ingredient list.
Thanks for catching that! It’s 1 garlic clove, minced. I just updated the ingredient list.
I love this recipe! I am trying to eat healthier and exploring going vegan, and this recipe is so satisfying. I rarely make things twice as I get bored and want to move on, but I will be making this again and again.
That’s great you’re going to have this recipe on repeat!